The Minnesota Homeschoolers’ Alliance Board of Directors is comprised of individuals who love homeschooling and want to help others on their homeschool journey.
Board members are all volunteers — and are fitting in this volunteer commitment as they homeschool, work, raise families, and maintain other relationships — just like you. If you’d like to learn more about serving on the MHA Board, please consider attending a monthly board meeting or talking to a current board member.
According to our bylaws, the board shall consist of at least 3 and up to 11 members, and all board members should be current MHA members. The board needs 8 members to be most effective. Officers of MHA shall be elected by the Board annually at the last meeting of each calendar year and effective immediately; or midyear, as needed to fill vacancies. The term of each director shall be two (2) years and expire on Dec. 31. Directors may serve four consecutive terms. The officers of Minnesota Homeschoolers’ Alliance shall be President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Officers shall be elected by the Board of Directors, and terms will expire at the first board meeting of each calendar year. Officers are encouraged to serve one three-year term, but may serve up to two.
Board meetings are typically held once a month, on the Fourth Tuesday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. and they’re open to the public. Please email email@example.com or check our Facebook events if you are interested in coming and to confirm location.
Current Board Members include:
President Leslie Kleppe (through December 2021), Shannon Bonafede (through December 2022), Aza Donnelly (through December 2021), Jenn Newman (through August 2020)
MEET YOUR BOARD MEMBERS
LESLIE KLEPPE – Board President
City of Residence – Hastings
Ages of children – 15 & 11
# of years homeschooling – 9
Describe your homeschooling style: My homeschooling style has evolved a LOT over the years. I started out doing school at home, but we’ve evolved to be very literature based, interest led, with a bit of structure in a few subjects (math and language arts). We spend a lot of time out of the house exploring the community and going on field trips.
What drew you to MHA as a board member: I saw a need in the community, and was able to take time out of my schedule to fill it. I believe it’s super important to help maintain the only completely inclusive homeschooling association in Minnesota.
5 Fun facts:
1) I’m a planner addict.
2) I love spending time in the great outdoors with my family
3) I work all night and homeschool all day
4) I’m slowly pursuing a history degree, which I plan to use when I’m done homeschooling.
5) My family is super involved in 4-H
City of residence: Minneapolis, MN
Ages of children: 10, 9 and 4 (almost 5)
# of years homeschooling: 2
Describe your homeschooling philosophy/style: We use curriculum but are considered eclectic in our style. We choose curriculum that works best for our family and often times that means little to none. While I thrive on schedules and lists, not all of my children do so we tend to have an idea of what we want to accomplish each week instead of a strict daily schedule.
What drew you to MHA as a board volunteer: I always feel like I can make a bigger impact from behind the scenes. Helping out MHA I am able be involved in the homsechool community in a way I could not have been otherwise.
1. I have a degree in History as well as one in Theatre.
2. I review YA novels for blogs. I enjoy most genres but generally review YA Fantasy and YA SciFi Romance.
3. I have a deep love for early 90’s music. Weezer and Cake are staples on my iPod.
4. I crochet, knit, embroider, sew, weave, felt and tat. I also enjoy cleaning, carding and spinning yarn.
5. When I was working I worked in Operations and Marketing for arts organizations. I designed posters, ads and newsletters and organized large scale events.
6. My secret passion is conservation and urban homesteading. I am an avid gardener and spend a lot of my free time volunteering at schools and other organizations teaching homesteading skills related to gardening and food preservation and conservation. I also teach cloth diapering in hospitals and resource centers.
7. My favorite food is cheese, the stinkier the better.
City of residence: Columbia Heights
Ages of children: 19, 14 and 11
# of years homeschooling: Other than a rough stint in Kindergarten, we have always homeschooled.
Describe your homeschooling philosophy/style: We are eclectic unschoolers or child-led education. My children occasionally choose to do something more structured but we do a lot of learning from life and interest. We love that learning happens all the time and what we want to learn changes constantly.
What drew you to MHA as a board volunteer: I believe that we have to be good role models for our children and I believe that we should all volunteer our time to give back to our circle in some way. Being a board member seemed a natural progression as a way to give back to the homeschool community.
Fun Facts about you:
- I am an introvert.
- I love gaming with my boys.
- I have a wall of scarves.
- I hate shopping.
- I love doing crafts.